Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Comfort Books

I don't mean any in particular (though there are definitely books I have read countless times that bring me comfort.  A Wrinkle in Time comes to mind first and foremost.)  Right now I just mean that books are a comfort to me.  I've been feeling a bit vulnerable lately.  It's nothing bad, just changes in life setting me a bit off-kilter.  It hit me full force at work today, so I decided to get up from my desk and take a walk.  Border's is conveniently close to my office building, so I walked there to get a vanilla latte, one of my addictions.  While waiting in line I noticed that the 4th book in the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series was finally in paperback, so on a whim I purchased it.  I've been waiting for it a long time, but I've been trying to cut out unnecessary purchases, and books have found their way into that category.  There's always the library, right?  Not to mention the stack of books I already own yet haven't read, and the other stack my parents have lent me.  But that book called out to me, and I listened.  So now I will have some comfort reading.  Apparantly that book being right there by the cafe was the universe's way of telling me to sit back and relax for a while.  Will I be smart enough to listen?  Knowing me, probably not, but I'll try to go easy on myself.

No comments: