Friday, November 9, 2007

Real Work Interferes

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything. My income-bringing job has been interfering with my writing something awful. We've been working on a big project all year, and it's going live in a few weeks, and of course we're nowhere near ready, so everyone is putting in a lot of overtime. Gotta love corporate America. By the time I get home from work, I grab dinner, log back in and do a few more hours work, then go to bed. Not much time for writing in between.

Because of all that, tomorrow will be even more appreciated than normal. My writing group is meeting for a special Saturday session. Our Mondays are open to anyone, but once in a while we have a writing day with the original 5. We have developed such a close bond as writers and friends that we want time with just the 5 of us once in a while. So tomorrow we will meet at Mary's house in the morning, have bagels and coffee (mmmm, coffee,) and write until we can write no more (or at least until the real world calls us back to it.) I am always excited at our special writing days like this, but because work has been so hectic, I am even more excited than usual.

I think in my last post I talked about a scene that I had been dreading writing, but my writing group gave me inspiration. I still have not had time to write it. When I have had a few spare moments, I have been editing. I think I am about a third of the way through with the initial edit. Once I complete that, I will go back one more time and read the entire manuscript out loud to myself so that I can hear how the writing flows. Sometimes something looks great on paper, but once you hear it you realize how awkward or choppy it is. But tomorrow I will work on that missing scene. I had some notes on it to go by, and some research I will either do tonight, or print out to bring with me tomorrow. I plan on relaxing the rest of tonight, take a hot bath and read, maybe do some of the aforementioned research, and get a good night's rest so that I will be ready and creative in the morning.

I also have a bit more research to do. Again, work has been interfering. I have 2 people I need to call to ask questions and verify some facts. Perhaps I will do that Monday. I am off work for Veteran's Day. I am planning on going to the zoo with Cory, but I think part of the day will have to be dedicated to those phone interviews. I am very much looking forward to spending the day with Cory though. Going to the zoo is one of our favorite things to do. St. Louis has a wonderful zoo. And it's free, other than parking.

I will try to post more often, but until this project is complete, I can't make any promises. Thanks for bearing with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.