Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Writing Groups Are Wonderful!

If you're trying to write, find a writing group if you can.  I wouldn't be where I am today without the support of my group.  They encourage me to keep writing and provide invaluable feedback.  There's a scene in Moonlight Cafe that I know I need to include, but haven't written yet and have been dreading.  I just didn't know how to write it.  Anything I could think of was B-O-R-I-N-G.  I had almost decided to just leave it out, though deep down I knew I coudln't do that.  My writing group gave me some absolutely wonderful ideas for how the scene could work.  I am so thankful for that.  Now I can't wait to sit down and write it, whereas before I was dreading it.  Sometimes stepping away and getting an outside opinion from other writers is the best thing you can do.  If you can't get an outside opinion from other writers, ask non-writers.  Any outside advice can be helpful.

If you do a google search it will give you a bunch of websites listing writing groups.  Not all writing groups are there though, I'm sure there are many, many more, smaller groups that you will just have to search to find.  Or form your own.  But I highly recommend having a core group of writers for support and input.

No comments: