Thursday, February 7, 2008

New Blogging Software

I found some new blogging software for the Mac called MarsEdit. I'm on the trial version right now, and this is my first post with it. So far it looks pretty cool, and if it keeps up I'll definitely be purchasing the full version. It allows you to easily add photos, and even this:

Currently playing in iTunes: Wait for Sleep by Dream Theater

Very neat. I don't know what it is about Macs, but when I was on my Windows computer I never cared about nifty software. Could I access the internet/e-mail? Could I listen to music? Did the word processor work? Great. That's all I cared about. But being a Mac owner is turning me into a computer person. I find myself spending time looking at new software products, and Mac has a great Shareware community. Instead of Word, I'm now using Scrivener for writing. It's a great program that allows you to not only write your novel, but organize research, download info from the web for offline access, and store pretty much any file you could need (pictures, videos, research documents) in the project file for easy access. I highly recommend it.

I just need to be careful not to spend too much time playing with new programs, and detract from my writing time. But I doubt that will happen, I love writing too much to ignore it, and the novel I'm working on is too interesting for me to step away from for long. I just happen to have new "toys" to make the work even more enjoyable and easy.

But back to Scrivener for a minute. At one point I decided to find some writing software. This was before my Mac. I spent several hours searching for programs, downloading trial versions, trying to figure out how to use them, and uninstalling them when I couldn't figure it out. I finally gave up, realizing that was wasted time I could have spent writing. But once I got the Mac, a fellow Mac user - 2, in fact - told me about Scrivener. I downloaded the trial version, spent 30 minutes on the tutorial, and was ready to go. Easy as that.

So I'm going to get back to writing now. I'll leave you with a picture of my literary dog Loki, easily added with MarsEdit.

IMGP3303.JPG

No comments: